Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Reinventing My Wellness

rmwbee

According to The Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale, in just five months’ time I have faced five life events that potentially contribute to stress related illnesses. With my already fragile immunity this is not a good thing.

From January to May of this year I have dealt with:
  • Death of a close family member
  • Personal injury or illness
  • Change in health of family member
  • Change to a different line of work
  • Change in residence
Bringing my stress score to 216. Which according to the scale means, “you have a moderate to high chance of becoming ill in the near future.” Not something you want to read, especially after dealing with three out of the five in the month April alone.

Ideally, I would like to take the Mindy Kaling approach to stress, “I do not think stress is a legitimate topic of conversation, in public anyway. No one ever wants to hear how stressed out anyone else is, because most of the time everyone is stressed out. Going on and on in detail about how stressed out I am isn’t conversation. It’ll never lead anywhere. No one is going to say, “Wow, Mindy, you really have it especially bad. I have heard some stories of stress, but this just takes the cake.”

Unfortunately, the impact of this stress is undeniable in the current state of my health. Minus the heart disease, the list found here pretty much sums up the way I’ve been feeling. I can’t undo any of what has happened. However, how I cope is completely within my power. So, here today I am dedicating myself to reinventing my wellness. Won’t you join me on this new chapter of my allergy journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment