Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Four Years

4
This is a week to celebrate. Sunday marked the fourth anniversary of my Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. It has been quite a battle to get to this day, but with each year I am getting stronger.

I woke up the morning of February 3, 2009 terrified. I knew that by the time I returned to my bed that evening, I would be forever changed. The hours after my surgery are foggy, but the memory that stands out the most is waking up after surgery. I was just coming to after being out for four hours; I could hear the nurses talking amongst themselves as they waited for me to wake. In the moments before I opened my eyes, relief washed over me. It was the best feeling to wake and know the months of anxiety since first learning I would need surgery if I ever wanted to breathe normally again were over. I had made it through.

I thought that was the best feeling possible. It was, until the next week. After my splints were out, I took my first real breath. Fresh air flowed through my sinuses and filled my lungs. Now that was the best feeling possible. And it was here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment