Tuesday, February 05, 2013

The Asthma Plan

asthmaplan1

When my allergist first suggested that I had asthma, I was confused. Allergies? Sinus issues? Those were becoming old hat. Asthma is uncharted territory. It has not been smooth sailing since the diagnosis, but I'm learning navigate and now I have a plan.

At my last appointment with allergist, I brought up my future with asthma. At the time of the appointment, I was taking a full dose (2 puffs) twice daily of a Qvar inhaler. A few months earlier I had a bad reaction to an inhaler with albuterol and my primary physician came to the conclusion that Qvar (it doesn't have albuterol) twice daily was appropriate for the near future.

After a month of this of this regimen, I do feel like a new person. Though the thought of inhaling this level of steroids daily indefinitely concerns me, which was what I told my allergist. His line of treatment falls closer aligned to what I value in a doctor. Medication shouldn't be a crutch. I want to treat the problem, not continuously mask the symptoms. Hence, the asthma plan.

Until the end of January, I continued the Qvar, but with a dosage reduction of one puff only at night. This month I will use a rescue inhaler as needed. The definition of a rescue inhaler versus the preventive kind like Qvar, is that they contain albuterol. An ingredient I am very apprehensive about due to my sensitivity. The rescue inhaler my allergist prescribed contains a form of albuterol designed to be more pure and less side effects. I feel relieved to have a plan and am excited for the outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment