Monday, February 04, 2013

The Big A

a1

In January of last year, I began to feel a pain in my chest like I never had before. My lungs constantly hurt. I went to the doctor and took an X-ray. Everything was normal. The pain would come and go. I was also dealing with a lot of stress at the time, so I chalked it up to that. That seemed to be the simplest explanation. I am embarrassed to admit. Last year was not my healthiest year. Colds were quite frequent and my allergy symptoms were all over the place. Yet when the other symptoms would subside, the ever present chest pain never really did.

I am grateful to an allergy shot gone awry in September. I had a terrible reaction that landed me back in the allergist office the morning after my shot. In my discussion with the allergist, the chest pain came up and so did a possible diagnosis I was not expecting, asthma. I received an inhaler on the spot and was told to see how it goes.

Upon my further research on asthma, the symptoms I had been experiencing for the bulk of the year finally made sense. I felt relief, and then the fear set in. Asthma is scary stuff. Like I did with my allergies, I am game to learn how to manage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment