Monday, March 25, 2013

Prescription Protection

pp2

With allergies, come prescriptions. My latest is a generic version of Flonase. And with these prescriptions, often come side effects. And these side effects may not always be related to the actual medicine. Identity theft is not usually listed on the label, but every bit of your personal information is.

I fill my prescriptions at my local Target. As far as pharmacy experiences goes, this is the best I’ve had, but their packaging often leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I understand that they want to ensure their employees can easily access information to help ensure that you and only you are picking up your prescription, but if you’re not careful when throwing it away you might also be providing this same information easily to identify thieves.

The bag that prescriptions come in from Target contains a label. On this label is my full name, address, telephone, and birthdate. To ensure this information stays between me and my pharmacy, I take a Sharpie to it and block out all information as much as possible. Next is the packaging that the actual medicine is in, this usually contains my full name. And lastly, inside the bag are additional labels. These labels also contain my my name, address, telephone, and birthdate. I take a Sharpie to them all.

The next time you fill a prescription read all the labels to not only take as directed, but to also ensure you’re not allowing anyone else to do the same to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment